6.03.2014

In the late-springtime, when the weather is fine

Summertime Hot weather entertaining tip: if the temperature is high enough and everyone ate a big enough lunch, you can announce that dinner is going to be fruit and cheese on bread and no one will outwardly challenge you, probably because the heat is making them lethargic.


Bonus tip: do not refer to it as "summertime" before June 21st in front of my 4-year-old unless you are in the market for some angry tears of remonstrance.


Time for a The Book Lover's Cookbook poetry break: "Blueberries" by Robert Frost. Here is the poem in its entirety; just know that the selection in the book leaves out all the funny parts and also the tragically impoverished children, as is its style. I assumed I would make First-Picking Blueberry Muffins in the fall, since Robert Frost was a New Englander and in my mind it is always autumn in New England. Or, like, Christmas Eve. I genuinely believe it just cycles between October and Christmas Eve up there and I won't hear otherwise. You may as well claim it isn't always summer in Australia or winter in Minnesota while you're at it.

Anyway, I recently started seeing "first of the season" blueberries in the store, so here we are. I know they look like a mess in the picture, but that's only because they were a mess in real life.


I have been blaming my baking powder through about three different cans of baking powder now, but I think it's the baking powder.



Anna Being Made To Pose For Pictures On The Occasion Of Her First Dance Recital: A Story In Four Parts.