10.17.2019

Maple Bars

Time to make the donuts. (Doughnuts? I'm pretty sure doughnuts is right, but it looks unbearably fancy to my simple peasant eyes.)






Maple bars are, of course, in the category of Sounds Great But Also Like A Huge Pain, so I had been sorta simultaneously putting them off/looking forward to them. Probably should have just...put them off for longer!





The going rate for a bar-style donut in these parts is about seventy American cents, and I am here to tell you that having someone else fry up some dough for you is worth at least twice that, especially if you inexplicably choose a recipe that calls for bread flour (????) and ignore your inner voice that has baked approximately one million things over three decades crying out that bread flour should not go in donuts (????) because it will be dense and bread-y and not donut-y. Because when you do that, you end up with extremely disappointing bread-y not donut-y donuts that took half a day's work.


Sorry, I meant "not doughnut-y doughnuts"


Now, the question of why I trust random blonde ladies with food blogs above my own actual knowledge of how flour works is one for...a therapist, probably, but here we are, with a heavy chunk of maple-ish bread that fortunately had a high enough sugar content to garner good reviews.






In better news, the high today is only 77, which means it's...time for earflaps.





ASSESSMENT: BREAD FLOUR. COME ON.

PROJECT STATUS: The number of times I've typed "donut" and "doughnut" today has now hit critical mass and I'm probably going to have to go procure some from a licensed vendor who uses appropriate flour.