10.10.2019

Tom Kha Soup

I told myself I would go back to making soup once the weather broke and lo and behold, earlier this week we had an extreme cold front that brought the high temperature down to about 82 degrees. It was a really good day. I wore a sweatshirt for a few minutes. The high today is 96. It's October 10th. My sweatshirt is back in its drawer.

Anyway, "try my hand at Tom Kha Soup" was one of my stated goals from the outset, which is funny because of three listed ingredients, I actively dislike two of them. Such is the incredible lure of a Thai-flavored broth, I guess? I had to specifically search for "Tom Kha shrimp" because it seems like the default version is chicken, which sounds much better to me. But, alas, we do not eat the chickens in Stardew Valley. We are pescatarians.







Middling reviews from the children. Thumbs slanted, faces iffy. It should be said that after giving her rating, Anna noted that she did not especially like the texture of the chicken, which makes sense given that there is no chicken in the soup and what she was eating was mushrooms. I guess if you ever want to trick a hardcore carnivore into eating this you can pretend that it's full of chicken and you are just bad at cooking it.








ASSESSMENT: It's just...so full of shrimp and mushrooms.

PROJECT STATUS: My back still hurts but I have learned to enjoy my time on the torture mat. It distracts me from the weather. No more soup until the high drops back under 90.