5.31.2013

Internet Humor Nostalgia Week

I knew I wouldn't have time for more than one cookbook recipe this week, so I perused my un-theme-able section and landed on Cookbook #61: Recipes for a Lady or a Man: The Achewood Cookbook (Chris Onstad, 2003). If you know what Achewood is, you will immediately understand what I mean by un-theme-able. If you don't know what Achewood is...I probably could help you, but it would be exhausting. It's a webcomic that I was very into a few years ago. Into enough to buy the cookbook (which is autographed and includes a drawing of one of the characters telling me never to smoke pot). I actually don't even want to link to it because 1) It won't make any sense whatsoever because almost none of the strips are stand-alone and 2) It will make you think very...weirdly of me. But, uh, here's the Wikipedia entry, here's the beginning of one of the more coherent story lines, and here's a recipe for home fries from this book. If you don't want to bother with any of that, you'll just have to take my word for it that Mr. Bear is a trustworthy character to be dispensing advice regarding Proper Omelette Technique.


His first name is Cornelius.

I don't know how I got it into my head that omelets (I like the American spelling, but understand that Mr. Bear is British) are fussy, but they are not. They are just as easy as frittatas and cook way faster. So that's very, very valuable information! I think the omelet vs. frittata decision just comes down to what kind of egg-to-filling ratio you're looking for. Little filling = omelet, tons of filling = frittata. And if you're going little-filling, can I recommend having my parents bring you some nice fresh harvest from their garden?


They also brought me something to wash it all down! (Liquor!) (Parents are great!)

Verdict: Oh, Achewood. Not for everyone. Or...most, maybe. But I'm probably going to spend the rest of the day re-reading the four years' worth of Ray Smuckle's blog and thinking about how good omelets are.

Hey you guys, Anna discovered Twister and she can't get enough of it!


Right foot green.

Left hand blue.