5.21.2019

Carp Surprise

Having looked over the Stardew recipe list many times now I can say with absolute confidence that no other dish has a name as hilariously unappetizing as "Carp Surprise." I mean, that's an intriguingly bad premise, right from the start. Add in the description--"bland and oily"--and it's downright irresistible, just from a curiosity standpoint.






I did not follow a recipe, as I felt reasonably certain I could produce a bland and oily fish dish all on my own. I was correct! (I did it by heating up the fish in a pan, and then taking no further steps.) The real surprise of Carp Surprise is not that it matches the description exactly, but rather that carp contain significantly more bones than you would think possible, just based on physics. So many bones.






The other surprise of our specific round of Carp Surprise was not that it was received poorly by the children, but rather that one child threw up proactively, about fifteen minutes before dinner was even served. Astounding!

I did not document said sick child in the hour of her illness, as it was actually quite pitiful, but she did gamely do a dramatic reenactment of her sorry state for me the next day.




Her sister was unimpressed by the performance, and provided her own interpretation of events.




ASSESSMENT: Bland, oily, and surprising, this recipe delivered on its promises 100%. I would sooner re-visit the sea cucumber than the carp.

PROJECT STATUS: Just tearing through all the iffy seafood bits