7.18.2019

Chocolate Cake, Tortilla, Fish Taco

For her 10th birthday, Anna requested "a simple chocolate cake" either because she has now transitioned from little kid to small adult OR because her desires have finally begun to fall in line with my blog projects.






She is the blog MVP, I really need everyone else to get on her level


No one requested that I make tortillas out of masa, and yet...here we are. I keep a tortilla press in my cabinet for a reason, and that reason is to remind myself that some things are best left to professionals who can craft tortillas that are more than three and a half inches wide.


So tiny. So bad at holding food.





While I was at it I figured I would knock out Fish Taco as well, mostly because my children were spending that particular Taco Tuesday with their grandparents so I was free of hyper-specific individual requests (egg, cheese, black olives, no crispy edges, etc). I just seared some Ahi tuna with a little bit of cajun seasoning and used the leftover red cabbage slaw from my earlier, more pointless endeavor.






But Erica, you are saying. The reason that slaw was pointless was that it lacked mayonnaise and this fish taco recipe clearly calls for mayonnaise as well and you vowed to us that you would do more work than necessary to achieve accuracy.

Aha! I did not indicate how much more work than necessary.





ASSESSMENT: I've eaten so much cake in the past week that I am no longer able to assess it with any coherence, but I remember a time when this particular chocolate cake seemed like a good thing. I still cannot craft a fully functional tortilla. Samin Nosrat's cabbage slaw continues to be a blessing and I think she should receive a Nobel Prize for it, maybe also a Pulizter and a VMA.

PROJECT STATUS: Waiting for some galaxy-brained individual to request birthday eel