6.13.2017

Life is short and sometimes promotional items are worthwhile

Guys...I had a pretty fun weekend.






I mean, did the very highly touted 30th anniversary reunion of Designing Women end up being "Annie Potts over Skype" instead? Yes.


Hey girl

And am I going to be a little salty about that for a while? Sure. I had a couple of hours of righteous fury worthy of Julia Sugarbaker herself. But the world is a rougher place than it was the last time the ATX Festival caused me grief, and I am an older, more tired person, and I found that it was easier this round to lean into the many top tier comedians and free food and weird abundance of promotional fanny packs than to linger for too long on what might have been.


 Quick lightning round of complimentary meals: MTV vs. Hulu!


MTV had a breakfast taco buffet with pupusas, Mexican pastries, fresh fruit, and churro bites.





Churro bites, I said.






There was also unlimited coffee and hibiscus tea and extremely decadent chocolate milk and mimosas and if I were still a champagne-drinking lady I would have made up the entire cost of my festival badge right on the spot. As it was, I think I got about halfway there. 10/10, really great showing from MTV, and I didn't even deduct any points for the fact that you guys sent me away with a hangover kit in a fanny pack.



Again, this is one of multiple fanny packs this weekend bestowed upon me

There is a "selfie light" in there, for when you want to record your hangover for posterity but in flattering light



Hulu had a badgeholder's lounge which occasionally offered a little buffet of some type throughout the weekend. The food was not as good as the MTV brunch, but it was more frequent, and there was also a decent chance you would be sitting near Ron Livingston as you ate it. Hypothetically.






7/10 where are my churro bites.


Finally, people representing the television show Younger kept trying to hand me popsicles on the street. I waited until Day 3 when they were too exhausted to keep demanding that people follow them on Twitter in exchange, because my social media loyalty cannot be bought and sold, Younger.






5/10 they were just okay.



I realize when I look over my pictures from the weekend that the people I was most excited about seeing include Paul F. Tompkins, Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael, Jason Mantzoukas, Scott Auckerman, Kulap Vilaysack, Karen Kilgariff, and Guy Branum. In other words, I absolutely went to this television festival...for the podcasters.















AND I WOULD DO IT AGAIN.



Anyway, one of two cats is happy to have me home and I am happy to be had...home.