4.10.2019

Salmon Dinner

I wasn't sure how exactly to approach the Stardew recipes; there are 71 dishes that vary dramatically on both an Effort scale and a How Much They Appeal To Me scale, so immediately we are introducing x and y axes into this situation when, again, all I really wanted was to try my hand at Tom Kha Soup. But this isn't Try My Hand At Things Blog! This is Erica's Blog. There are secret three-dimensional mind spreadsheets. The recipes are introduced in the game in a certain order, but not a certain set order, because obtaining recipes depends on gameplay. Some ingredients only become available in certain in-game seasons. Some ingredients, I'm finding out now, only become available in certain real-world seasons as well, which is a more pressing issue for me personally. The recipes appear listed in your inventory in a specific order. They are also able to be alphabetized, one presumes. So many options.

Taking all of the above factors into account, I used a highly scientific process to determine the exact center of the Effort/Appeal scales, and plan to work my way out and around and over and through based on the availability of seasonal ingredients, how I am feeling when it's time to get groceries, and the rate at which I am able to convince myself to endure new seafood experiences. I am also now considering that 71 recipes is probably enough to stretch this out for almost a full year if I don't get in a hurry about it.

So here it is, the absolute middlest of dishes: 






Okay, there may have been one other deciding factor in my jumping off point, and that was my confidence that I could cook all three elements (salmon, amaranth, and kale) without looking up a recipe, which will probably only happen a handful of times. And I was right! But only because I have memorized the slow-roasted salmon technique from Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat, which is to cook the salmon for about 50 minutes at 225 degrees. I also use her soy sauce/brown sugar glaze and everyone loves it and I am a hero at this dinner table. A HERO.

The kale I just braised for a bit with a carton of miso broth from Trader Joe's, and the amaranth I...cooked in water, as per the instructions on the package. (The package itself brought me significantly more delight than I believe was intended, but "Nature's Earthly Choice" is honestly the funniest combination of words I have ever read in my life.)



Like, it's not Nature's first choice, necessarily

Salmon: delicious as always; kale: acceptable; amaranth: strange! Mild flavor, but very gooey and gelatinous. Guess who was extremely into that?



These weirdos


ASSESSMENT: Did I feel 125 more energetic and 56 healthier? Sure. Did the lemon spritz make it special? You betcha.

PROJECT STATUS: Auspicious