8.31.2012

I kind of dress like a caveman anyway

Hey, look at the calendar! Look look! It's the last day of August! I know today's high is 102, but tomorrow it will be September and the leaves will turn colors and the air will be crisp and we'll all pull out our jackets and cute hats and new school supplies and football schedules and spiced apple cider recipes and everything will be okay again. Whew!

Okay, I know. But please just let me have this dream, y'all. I have had a bad August even for August, which is like saying "That expression was skeptical even for Anna." A variety of factors (weather, travel stress, dead cat) contributed, but if I had to guess, I'd say the primary reason that August was a bust was: lack of food project.

Sooooo here's what we're going to do. We're going to make some Blue Cheese Mousse. No! Wait. I'm saving that bad boy for October. We're going to do a Whole 30! Yay! Because it's what the internet is doing and I am in and of the internet and must do it as well. Seriously, look, all the cool kids are Whole 30-ing. Or rather, just finished, as I am consistently slightly behind everything popular. Or way behind. (I've been on Instagram for well over a month now! Pretty cutting edge, you've probably never heard of it.) I think I'm all set, I read the book and have the other book and I'm trying to stay as open-minded as possible, although I feel like my temperament is less "eat meat and lift heavy things" and more "be a vegetarian and do yoga," so we'll see. Anyway, the takeaway is: no booze, no dairy, no grain, no BEANS. No beans. I feel like it's going to be easier than Bon Appetit though, because on page 261 the Hartwigs say "We will not decree that you must eat shrimp." SOLD!

But first, we eat beans.

Look, all I have to do here is replace the beans and cheese with hunks of meat. Paleo-fied!
Let's eat some other stuff too, just to get it out of our systems.

Again, we just swap out the brie and crackers for meat and meats. This is going to be totally easy.

Fried pickles, fried macaroni and cheese, and ranch dressing becomes meat, meat, kale. Seriously, I can do this in my sleep.

Cheesecake = meatandveggiecake.

You know what, probably easiest just to give up cupcakes.
We did take a bakery tour this week, giving me a chance to make out with a loaf of sourdough bid adieu to bread for a bit. It also gave Anna a chance to be mesmerized by the bread-creation process.



I'm guessing she's not joining me for Meat and Veg Month.

Meanwhile, Ivy has been gently hinting that we may want to re-babyproof the house.