8.20.2013

I expect you all to smoke things for me when I visit

How was your weekend, everyone? Still August? Oh. Well, did you at least go on vacation? I did! I mean, we went to visit my parents, but I'm pretty sure it counts as a vacation because I ate sushi.




And my kids weren't within sight, or, more crucially, earshot.


I find that serenity is helpful in digesting raw fish.


I was also served 18-hour smoked brisket with a soup bowl full of homemade barbecue sauce and I'm pretty sure I didn't even help clear the table.


Definitely vacation and/or I'm just a thoughtless houseguest.

I did use Cookbook #83: The Chocolate Snowball: and Other Fabulous Pastries From the Deer Valley Bakery (Letty Halloran Flatt, 1999) to whip up a batch of anniversary biscotti for my parents because I am also a pretty self-serving gift-giver.



I used orange zest to cover up the taste of selfish blog-related motivation.

Provenance: Mom. Previous recipes on this blog: none. For some reason I'd been thinking that everything in this cookbook was super fussy/fancy, probably because the titular recipe is super fussy/fancy, but it's actually full of regular yummy-sounding stuff, including more than one type of granola and dadgum do I enjoy granola. I also enjoy biscotti. Verdict: these are recipes from the executive chef at a ski resort! Just flipping through it is guaranteed to reduce your body temperature 10 degrees. Also, it is full of sugar.

Anna took the opportunity to do some frolicking this weekend.


They seem to be on the same page, at least. 



All that activity may have been a little stressful for the girls though, as they were definitely ready to get back into their yoga practice when we got home.


Ivy is demonstrating the "I was born relaxed" pose.