4.11.2014

April showers bring dead livestock

Slow reader book update! What I have learned from All Things Bright and Beautiful so far: nothing, because I am still reading All Creatures Great and Small. What I have learned from that: being a vet in rural England in the 30s sounds terrible, animals that spend their entire lives standing around in fields get struck by lightning a lot. Human body count: zero. Animal body count: really quite high. With the lightning and all.

Speaking of, it's time for Friday's How Many Minutes To Make It? LIGHTNING ROUND. Here we go, what say you to some Open Faced Veggie Melts? Will they make their 15 MINUTE cutoff?





Nooooooooooooope. Almost bumped to the next time category, even. Possibly slowing me down: indicating to husband that I am on the clock and need to avoid distraction, husband helpfully chanting "Chop! Chop! Chop!" in response.

In the 20 MINUTE category we have Soba Noodles with Tofu in Ginger Broth.





I'll allow the slight overage because most of that time was waiting for the water to boil and I felt like this took almost no work whatsoever. Possibly slowing me down: I was totally watching that pot.

And finally, representing 30 MINUTE dinners, we have Poached Salmon with Dill Mustard Sauce.





I am again going to forgive the extra minute here because out of all of this week's contenders this tasted the most like real food. Possibly slowing me down: having to persuade the toddler not to drink the bottle of clam juice.

Ah, the toddler. Yes, yes. She is loving her umbrella stroller right now.





Riiiiiight up until we're half a mile from the house in it.