4.01.2014

Lord, what fools these internets be

Okay. Stop right there.





Take a deep breath. And know that you are in a safe place. A fool-free zone.


Well. You know what I mean.


I'm a little bit torn on April Fool's Day. I love a holiday! And I generally enjoy the elementary-school-level silliness that abounds. Most of you probably haven't noticed this about me, but silliness is something I can appreciate on a very deep level. But as a person of moderate-to-slightly-above-moderate anxiety, the whole enterprise makes me extremely uneasy. The beautiful dark circles under my eyes are slightly deepened and I am extra-alert.

Much like a certain very intense Cat Team leader! One whose face-painter tried to mitigate the ferocity of her choice by adding little blue bow to one ear.


Bless her heart.


So I want you to know that everything I present to you today is wholly without trickery. For example, when I say that I wrapped up the March section of Melissa Clark's Cook This Now just in time for April, what I mean is that I made Braised Pork Shoulder With Tomatoes, Cinnamon, and Olives over Polenta last Tuesday and Coconut Fudge Brownies last Wednesday and that the brownies are actually from the April section because the March dessert is an olive oil cake and I just made an olive oil cake last month. Normally I would have glossed over those disclosures in the interest of narrative simplicity and you WOULD HAVE BEEN FOOLED.




Fooled but good.




Not today, though! And now that we've established a level of trust here, I can tell you that you must make these brownies and also that you must leave them very slightly gooey in the middle and you will know that I speak honestly. APRIL WISDOM, EVERYONE. Go forth in the light of chocolatey truth.