2.13.2018

Cue up the Rebirth Brass Band

It seems like Mardi Gras always comes up on blog post day, mused the under-caffeinated woman who has written a post every Tuesday for the last seven and a half years.

We pre-gamed last night with some Red Beans and Rice. I don't usually follow a recipe, but this particular one did result in red beans and rice and therefore I recommend it.


Can't ask for a better result than beans and rice



It is of course Pancake Tuesday, so I dutifully set my alarm twenty minutes early as though I did not know for a fact that my cat would wake me up an hour before that. And she did! 



It's like having a rooster that instead of crowing gently yet insistently bites my chin



So I had a long, luxurious amount of time to put together these Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes. These aren't entirely in the spirit of Fat Tuesday, as they are slightly sneaky-healthy, but I very much doubt our diet going forward will be entirely in the spirit of Lent, either.







I am also planning to make savory pancakes tonight. In the interest of intense multi-theming, they are Korean-style savory pancakes, in honor of the Winter Games in Pyeongchang (or as I have been referring to them, The "But I'm Old Enough To Be His Mother" Show). Anyway, I guess we'll see how well my theme-pairing abilities hold up to tomorrow's expert-level Ash Wednesday/Valentine's Day challenge.

SaveSaveSaveSave