11.06.2012

Happy birthday, Ivy! Sorry I didn't feature you more prominently!

Before it gets lost amongst all the BIRTHDAY HULLABALOO, I thought it was important for you to know that I made pasta with eggs on top of it. And there was kale involved. How could anyone have predicted that I would be drawn to this recipe? Ah, a woman's heart is a deep ocean of secrets.

No, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Hey, my teensy baby turned one! I'll probably start acknowledging that there's a whole extra human in the house any day now. I went with the traditional purple for her cake, though you may notice that three years of motherhood have stifled my creativity and also my desire to permanently scar the minds of our youth.

I doubt this one will come up in therapy at all.

I made up for this newfound lameness by making queso.

It pretty much tasted like Velveeta. I don't have any problem with that.

I also made a casserole. Here is my recipe: a lot of chicken, a lot of cheese, a jar of salsa, leftover tortilla scraps from making Halloween chips, two zucchini you found in the crisper, two cans of beans. Heat up.

It was actually pretty good, because casseroles are magical.

Getting a party together is a lot of work, but Anna really threw herself into helping me this year.



All in all, it was a pretty staid affair.

"Children playing here. A little privacy, please."

You can barely tell they're related.

Realizing they're one always seems to get them.

Things perked back up at our post-party birthday dinner at Quality Seafood.


What? It takes a lot of energy to fully engage that scowl.
Okay all, I'm headed to New Orleans in a couple of days to hang out with other bloggers because I am a Real and Important Blogger and they need me there to wear lobster hats and make other people feel better about their ability to dress themselves and also their dancing skills. It's not like I have a choice. I continue to be too lazy and self-conscious to do a vlog, so if you are reading this and you don't know me yet, I WILL BE THE ONE IN THE LOBSTER HAT.