3.26.2013

Uh, Soup Week? Some more.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everybody! That just happened, right? There wasn't a terrible black hole of a week in the interim? Good. Sláinte! First let's wrap up Soup Week, which at this point has extended to Soup Nearly A Month Or So. Imagine my delight when friends Matt and Suzi had us over for lunch and there was SOUP THERE.

With POTATOES in it.
Hard not to feel like this was the universe telling me that Extended Period of Soups had its blessing. And why shouldn't it? What's better than soup? Other than soup with an egg on top of it? Do you think my endless queries are a sign that I missed my internet humans? I did. I missed you, internet humans. Let's talk about soup some more.

Cookbook #31: The Whole Foods Market Cookbook (Steve Petusevsky, 2002). Provenance: Dan received this as a Christmas present several years ago. Previous recipes on this blog: whole wheat pasta with broccoli. Number of times I have thought "tofu with rainbow peppers" sounded like a good idea only to be proven wrong: about three. Recipe: Swiss chard and white bean soup.


Healthy floating things.

Verdict: I've used this one quite a bit. No pictures. Not really as healthy as you might assume. But some good stuff in there.

Obviously I wasn't going to get through St. Patrick's Day without making Guinness stew. I mean, I'm pretty sure we all knew that was going to happen.

Also added mashed potatoes on the side ERIN GO BRAUGH
But did you see Hot Reuben Dip coming? Did you?

If so, good call.
Of course, we started the day with this lump of authenticity: Irish morning bread.

Doesn't look like much, but it's good for soaking up whisky.
In non-thematic news, I made use of Cookbook #32: The Great Big Cookie Book (Hilaire Walden, 1998) in order to make butterscotch bars to take to the above-metioned friend lunch. Provenance: Mom. Previous recipes on this blog: none. Point at which I realized this book was extremely British: "30 ml of golden syrup."

Blast!
Verdict: a lot of good-looking pictures in this one. It's surprisingly easy to find caster sugar. Keeper.

Anyway, after the week that we're pretending didn't happen, green chile chicken macaroni and cheese sounded like the best possible balm.

And it was. Oh, it was.

And now I am exhausted so I'm just going to photo blast you with pictures of the girls. We'll call it a "caption contest."