9.26.2014

I've been meaning to inspect my beehives anyway

Big announcement! There is a new magazine in my life right now, and her name is Martha Stewart Living October 2014. We met at the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, next to the chocolates and the pens that look like unidentified-crustacean claws. I think we're going to be very happy together.

I've actually never purchased a Martha Stewart magazine (or book? or anything?) before, but I've also never been a thirty-four-year-old lady with time to kill in an airport before. Life can lead you down some surprising paths, kids! You just gotta keep saying yes. I appreciate that this issue includes a recipe pull-out containing "Money-Saving Meals" that are in fact appealing and cost-effective, although I kind of doubt Martha ever personally demands to be brought a meal of rice and ground beef.



Some people wouldn't even bother with an "insert for the poors," is all I'm saying.


Braised chicken with sauerkraut is hearty and autumnal!


Plus my children love sauerkraut because they are beautiful little weirdos!


I couldn't find escarole for this soup, although I admit I did not try very hard.



I only looked in the "kale" section.

Anyway, I'm so inspired that I think I'm going to make October the Month of Martha. Look, I can follow her very own calendar! I mean, I'm going to have to get a dog and a cider press and a gig at the New York Food and Wine Festival and, ugh, do Pilates, but it should be a lot of fun!





Yeah, Month of Martha, what do you think? I mean, would the wordplay work better if I waited until March to do this? Probably! But who can resist this loony bird for that long?


Not this gal.


Anyway, whatever, it doesn't start until next week, everyone back to work.