3.05.2020

Pale Broth

You know how last week I was complaining about how hard it is to take decent pictures of dinner in the winter darkness? And how soup absolutely suffers the most in the absence of natural lighting? And how I literally only need to wait three more days for that situation to resolve itself? Anyway, I made soup this week.







This might be my worst "eh, close enough" offender of the project so far--when I looked up "white algae" 100% of my results were about removing it from your fish tank. And no offense Marnie, but "a hint of sulfur" is not a huge incentive to go for authenticity on this one. Thus I feel no compunction about my substitution, a pale broth that is both easy to make and very delicious and comforting: miso soup.





Soup is a category of food that I generally find pretty magical, but miso soup is in the special subcategory of "oh, I can actually feel this fixing some of my problems as I eat it." 

Not sure it resolved any of life's problems for my children, and I feel like they asked "what is this part?" about the tofu at least three times each, but in the end they liked it okay.





ASSESSMENT: This was great but the actual dish sounds pretty terrible. Scraping your fish tank for dinner is some sad Depression-era stuff like making cake out of apples and sawdust or whatever.

PROJECT STATUS: ON THE VERGE OF BEING FLATTERINGLY LIT AGAIN