4.17.2018

Spice world

Over the weekend, Penzey's was giving away an entire box of free spices literally because they love America, which really got to me for some reason! Maybe because I tend to spend my time online whipping between "here are things and people to be very angry at" and "here's why you should feel bad for not personally making everything better," the sudden intrusion of "here are some free spices and a missive on the importance of cooking in healing and sharing and continuing old traditions and connecting with new ones and also a recipe for apple pie" was genuinely moving.


Listen, the pie was a huge mess. But it tasted good.



I feel like this pie is really reaching for a metaphor. Relax, pie.



Also, the one downside of having a child who loves watching The Great British Bake Off with you is a very noticeable uptick in bakery criticism.



She was one "helpful note" away from forfeiting her ugly pile of pie.


Anyway, I'm about to find out how Ugly But Delicious Patriotism Pie tastes for breakfast. LIKE FREEDOM, I BET.


Meanwhile, Ivy and Isabelle are 100% conspiring but it's probably fine.