1.31.2012

Have to publish this so I can go look at Pinterest

Okay. It's time to talk about Pinterest.

If you don't know what that is, it's a sort of social networking-ish site based on creating pin-boards of various appealing things from around the internet. And if you have ever heard it described as anything other than "a gigantic time-suck," I feel you have been mislead. I mean, I'll grant that maybe that isn't universally true--maybe some people hate looking at beautiful pictures specifically tailored to their personal interests and spend as little time as possible doing it. They would probably rather being reading books and exercising and doing charitable works. Meanwhile I am very busy looking at pictures of cake.

And to be fair, some people do actually seem to use Pinterest productively--for travel planning or home decorating or organizing gift lists, but my boards may as well be called "Melted Cheese," "The Fine Art of Putting an Egg on It," and "Various Uses for Nutella."

All of which is to say that it's Pinterest's fault that I made and then ate four of these chocolate donuts over the weekend.

There were 12 of them and 3 of us. Math.

Not to mention some tasty Blood Orange Gin Sparklers. Whats more, I'm pretty sure Dan's sudden attack of Dramatically Artsy Photographer Syndrome was Pinterest-inspired as well.

This rosemary is just reaching out to give you little herby kisses.

And seriously, have you ever seen a lovelier portrait of brutalized citrus?

This is definitely what our evening cocktails look like every day. Now you know.
Anyway, we were talking about eggs?

Might have to change my motto to "Put an egg on it and then put some goat cheese and roasted red pepper sauce on top of THAT." Yes. It's snappy.
Some good, easy, vegetabley things come out of it too. This Italian white bean soup was fine and dandy.


This grilled vegetable and hummus tart would also have been fine and dandy if I hadn't thought it was a good idea to make the hummus myself, starting in the morning with dried chickpeas. That is too many steps for me to be happy at the end of the day. So, you see? Pinterest doesn't JUST make me want to eat cake.

It also makes me want to do ambitious things and then reward myself by eating cake.
Anna's just been, you know, hanging out. Experimenting with winter fashion.

And...doing The Robot?
I did insist that she wear pants for her shift as Cheese Inspector.

She claims pants compromise her palate. That's why she's having to focus extra hard.
Hey, did you guys know that Ivy has RED HAIR OH MY GOODNESS.

That, or her skull is on fire.